The National Children’s Study is committed to recruiting 100,000 children nationally to study how environment, from pre-birth to age 21, may affect a child’s overall health and well-being. The knowledge gained through this effort may inform researchers on the role of factors contributing to disease and other emerging conditions thought to affect children’s health.
The National Children's Study - Worcester County Study Center is one of three national Study Centers to launch a recruitment strategy that engages interested Study participants through their doctor’s offices. This “provider-based sampling method” complements the recruitment strategies of other national Study Centers that share a common goal of engaging a diverse group of women from various geographic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
Through our work with the National Children’s Study, our hope is to create unique partnerships with researchers, service providers, community organizations, residents of Worcester County, businesses, and government agencies to:
- Improve children’s health, development, and well-being through high quality research
- Transform communities into healthier environments for children
- Educate the next generation of leaders for careers in community service
More information on Worcester County and its role in the Study can be found at Welcome to Worcester County Study Location.
Study Center Organization
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) leads the National Children’s Study for Worcester County, Massachusetts. Housed in the UMMS Department of Pediatrics, the National Children's Study - Worcester Study team is comprised of researchers who work together to plan and carry out the Study at this location.
The team is comprised of pediatricians, obstetricians, nurse researchers, public health researchers, statisticians, and data collection experts who share an interest in improving the health of families and their children.
Study Center Contact Information
National Children's Study - Worcester County Study Center
Phone: 508-856-3699 or toll-free 1-855-NCS-4ALL
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Chang Building, Suite 109
222 Maple Avenue
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
There are many ways to get involved in the National Children’s Study in Worcester County:
- If you or someone you know is, or may become pregnant in the next few years, and you are between the ages of 18 and 49, please contact us at 508-856-3699 or toll-free at 855-NCS-4ALL for more information about the Study in Worcester County. Visit the National Children’s Study Web site to learn more about the Study.
- If you would like to arrange for a speaker from the Study to come to your next neighborhood association, civic organization, religious group, or business meeting, please contact 508-856-3699 or toll-free 1-855-NCS-4ALL or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a member of the media and need information about any aspect of the Worcester County Study location or National Children's Study - Worcester County Study Center, or if you would like to schedule an interview with a member of the local Study team, please contact us.
- Conducting the National Children’s Study effectively in Worcester County depends on having public support for this important research effort from both health professionals and lay people. Please contact us if you are interested in volunteering with the Study as either a health care provider or a member of the community.