The Harris County Texas Study location is part of the Harris County Hospitals and Universities National Children's Study (HC-HUNCS) Study Center, one of 40 Study Centers participating in the Vanguard Recruitment Pilot. The goals of the recruitment pilot are to evaluate the feasibility, acceptability, and cost of three alternative strategies for recruitment, retention, and operations of the Study.
Harris County (Houston) is:
- Harris County has a population of 4.1 million (3rd most populous county in the U.S.)
- Houston is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago) and the largest in the southern U.S.
- Harris County has a total area of 1,778 square miles
- Among the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan areas
- Houston’s median age is among the lowest of the nation’s major metropolitan areas
- The most ethnically and culturally diverse metropolitan area in the country
- White (Non Hispanic) 18%, Hispanic 38%, Black (Non Hispanic) 38%, Asian 5%, and Others 1%
- Harris County has the third-largest Hispanic and third-largest Mexican population in the U.S. It has second-largest Indochinese population in the United States after Los Angeles.
- More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area
- An undisputed global leader in international business, with ties reaching all over the globe>
- 92 countries have consular offices in Houston (3rd most in U.S.)
- A 17-block Downtown Theater District which is home to internationally-recognized performing arts organizations — Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Ballet, Da Camera, Society for Performing Arts, Alley Theatre, Broadway in Houston, Theatre Under the Stars, and Uniquely Houston
- Nearly 100 libraries located throughout Houston's neighborhoods
- Recognized by the editors of Parents magazine as one of the nation's Ten Best Zoos for Kids, the nonprofit Houston Zoo (www.houstonzoo.org) is a unique educational and conservation resource serving more than 1.6 million visitors annually, ranking in the top 10 nationwide in attendance
- The Houston MSA contains two of the 10 largest urban public parks in the U.S. - Cullen Park (7th) and George Bush Park (9th)
- Parks represent 14.2% of the city's land area—well above the median 8.6% for 77 cities that the Trust for Public Land monitors
Home to the Texas Medical Center
- The largest medical center in the world
- 52,000 people working within its facilities; 21 million square feet
- 4.1 million patients visit each year
Home to NASA’s Johnson Space Center
- NASA's Johnson Space Center has served as a leader of human spaceflight for more than half a century. It is the home of the nation's astronaut corps, center of mission operations for the International Space Station, and is building the spacecrafts to take us beyond Earth.
Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) leads the National Children’s Study for the Harris County Texas Study location. The Harris County Hospitals and Universities National Children’s Study (HC-HUNCS) Study Center is housed in the Epidemiology Center, Department of Pediatrics at BCM. The Study Center is supported by a multidisciplinary team of investigators from the University of Texas Health Science Center Houston School Of Medicine and School of Public Health, the University of Texas at Austin, and Battelle Memorial Institute. The team is made up of epidemiologists, obstetricians, pediatricians, public health researchers, statisticians, and data collection experts who have an interest in improving the health of families and their children.
Return to Harris Country Hospitals and Universities National Children’s Study Center.
See all locations.